Seth Okin Good Deeds Scholarship
The official deadline has been extended to May 1, 2016. WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING ALL SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSIONS THROUGH EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP
As a lawyer, attorney Seth Okin wakes up every day ready to serve and defend the rights of his clients. He is dedicated to making a difference in the local Maryland communities where he lives and practices law. Mr. Okin is absolutely steadfast in his belief that people should attempt to do more than a single good deed per-day, endorsing a life anchored in activism and centered on service. As an animal lover, he constantly speaks out against animal cruelty, and as a proud father, he supports all efforts to improve the lives and well-being of children in his community.
However, with so many competing charities and interests in today’s world, it can be extremely difficult to decide where the most important work must be done. Should we focus on curing disease, or preventing it? Should we fund disaster relief abroad, or fight homelessness at home? Because there are sometimes no easy or apparent answers to the big questions that underpin our good deeds and our lives of activism, it is important to keep the lines of dialogue open about what it means to serve our communities, and how best to direct our efforts and resources.
Mr. Okin is proud to contribute to the national discussion on community service by sponsoring the Seth Okin Good Deeds Scholarship and Essay Contest. The winner of the contest will be awarded with a $500 scholarship that will enable him or her to pursue educational goals with the ultimate purpose of creating a meaningful life of service to others.
Who is Eligible for this Scholarship?
- The Seth Okin Good Deeds Scholarship can be offered to any student pursuing a post-secondary education (community college, undergraduate or graduate degree programs, law school, or business school).
- Applicants must be both interested and engaged in serving their community.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater (indicating good academic standing) to apply.
What Are the Application Requirements?
- Applicants must submit a resume that reflects their interest in service and activism by presenting relevant professional, academic, and volunteer experience.
- Applicants must submit a 500-word essay that responds to the following question:
With so many people and organizations in today’s world in need of volunteers and financial assistance, how should people decide where to direct their time and donations?
- Applicants must submit the most recent available academic transcript. If no official transcript is available from the applicant’s current institution, an up-to-date unofficial transcript shall be submitted IN ADDITION TO the most recent official transcript available.
- This cover sheet (link opens in PDF).
The Seth Okin Good Deeds Scholarship winner will be announced in Summer 2016.
What is the Deadline, and How Do I Submit my Application?
The deadline for scholarship and essay contest submissions is May 1, 2016. In order to be considered, all candidates must submit their applications IN FULL via U.S. Mail, email, or fax. These submissions should be directed to the following address and fax number:
108 W Timonium Road
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093